Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "many of the magazines we have today probably won't be here"

>>>>the content producers no longer need the magazines to reach an audience, and make a return."

That's happened long ago. The fact is, most print magazines certainly don't make a return nowadays. I have known and still know many in the print industry. Most are out of jobs. The ones that are surviving that I know are barely hanging on.

Back when, when print still ruled, some print publishers and editors would say, in reference to online content: "you get what you pay for." Insinuating that online content, because it's free, wasn't up to standard.

Well, today, print magazines are usually "less than free." For example, for $10/year, you can get a print subscription to numerous magazines. That doesn't even begin to cover the print and mailing/shipping costs. They're giving these things away at a cost -- in other words, it's costs them an arm and a leg to sustain this business models, which is why, I'd say that in two years, we'll see about 50% of the magazines on the shelves that we do now. I'll be surprised if there are more than a handful of print-based hi-fi magazines worldwide.

There are ways to make print sustainable, I think, but few magazines are doing it -- and it's those that aren't doing what's needed that will be gone.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Edits: 08/17/17 08/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "many of the magazines we have today probably won't be here" - Doug Schneider 12:55:19 08/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.