Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "MQA is presented as an improvement in sound quality"

Hi John,

Actually, as I think you know, I wrote about your experiences in an MQA article and applauded you doing that. As well, as I think you also know, I was happy to see you publicized the outcome, which was being able to identify MQA 4 of 7 times (statistically, definitely not significant and pretty much achievable through guessing, which is why so much more needs to be done, to see what differences can really be heard). However, only you did those comparisons -- they weren't public. It would be nice to release those files for the public -- it would be educational.

That said, insofar as true comparisons go, as I think we would both agree, similar things haven't been done often (at all), and really need to be in order to properly validate the technology. There are the 2L files, but others -- not so sure. Do you know how many files are circulating that we know are 100% sourced from the same masters to do MQA vs. non-MQA comparisons? BTW, were you there at High End 2016, in Munich, when the MQA demonstration consisted of only MQA files? So many writers immediately left and wrote about how incredible it sounded -- compared to what? Some rigor is needed before those claims get made.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Edits: 08/18/17 08/18/17 08/18/17 08/18/17 08/18/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "MQA is presented as an improvement in sound quality" - Doug Schneider 17:38:40 08/18/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.