Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I think "promoting" is the wrong word

If you read his "Paul's Posts" and the PS Audio forum, I think Paul still does not like MQA. My guess is that he was tired of losing sales while people fretted about another silly "format war". Every time that happens, it kills sales of everything for about two or three years. Remember SACD and DVD-Audio, or HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

Even if you support the new format there will be people who don't buy it because they don't want/need the new format and don't want to pay extra for the increased cost to support it. In the case of the PS Audio it is "free" because PS Audio it is a software upgrade to the ARM processor in their Ethernet board, and PS Audio is absorbing the licensing and royalty fees, at least for now. Who knows how long that will last or when MQA will increase their fees? In the case of the Myteks, Meridians, and Brinkmann, they all have an extra XMOS chip to perform the hardware decoding. Last time I checked, those were not free, nor were the power supplies to run them, nor the PCB space nor the engineering time required to redesign the system.

Price, performance, features. Pick two.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think "promoting" is the wrong word - Charles Hansen 13:29:57 08/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.