Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Okay, fair enough

I am perhaps more dogmatic than you because there are experiences and results of tests that I trust "enough" to go with it. It has a price when I find out later I was wrong when I didn't triple check the results.

There is also the extreme position of being so agnostic as to never trust your own senses, ever. This can be a problem. In fact, I don't believe any being really does this 100%. So I hypothesize that everyone becomes "dogmatic" about a lot of things, by necessity. It's the more black or white in the gray areas where at some point a person loses comfort with ambiguity and is convinced of something. A statistical argument is a perfect example of how much convincing a person really needs. To what degree of confidence in an experiment will make you take a side? I'm sure logic, experience, and depending on exactly what the subject is will dictate the level, and it will vary.

The extreme agnostic believes there is nothing that we can know, and would claim nothing at all, for all time. You can't even prove knowledge exists, so this is a fair assumption. But it's not practical. I know not to stick my hand in a fire. I have experience with that one, and I don't like the results. I feel it's something I know, or know good enough.

So philosophically we can claim agnosticism on everything. In practice, we don't do that. We are at least partial in some areas, and hence dogmatic. So yes I'm dogmatic that fire burns and cables have different sounds. By experience and experiment.

I'll have to now be dogmatic that you are not to be expected to hold an opinion on the results of cable differences. A new experience caused it. Or maybe I should sit on the fence for awhile on that one. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.