Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RG, you've hit the real issue...

This is ALL about ego, on both sides.

I agree completely that is amazing to read posts/reports where a person claims to "hear" the sound of a single component in a completely unfamiliar system and room; it's a complete impossibility. Much of what is claimed for audio equipment is clearly BS.

However, there are clearly people who are threatened by the "golden ear" crowd, as described in your post, and those people have an irrational need to "prove" that the golden ears can't hear what they say they hear.

I believe that the only way forward is to remain open to the obvious notion that we do not know all there is to know about audio reproduction, and look for the repeatable correlations between engineering choices and listening observations.

BTW, IMO most of the "can't hear a difference" crowd has permanently blown their credibility based on their moronic claims a few years ago that it was not possible to hear differences in digital transmission media, even though there are (and always were) clear engineering reasons why there would be differences. How many "I'm a EE, it's just 1s and 0's; it can't possibly sound different" posts have we all seen... Most of them couldn't find the PLL at the end of a digital cable...

That's NOT a null result, and is therefore statistically useful; they were flat out wrong!

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.