Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Reading between the lines

I do enjoy this topic, because it brings out some raw emotion. To answer some of your questions, my test was very simple, and you will not find much to pick out. The one possible weakness with the study is that I did not account for possible mismatched sound levels. I know as well as the next guy how sound levels affect the apparent quality of the sound. Otherwise, both speaker cables were burned in for hundreds of hours and my wife had no obvious way to know which cable was which. My gut feel is that the kinds of subtle cues that the naysayers are concerned about were probably nonexistent. I don't plan to videotape my next experiment, so there is no way I can convince you. Indeed, if I were sure that the volumes were identical and yet received the same critiques, I would wonder if the naysayers were simply being obstinate.

One last point -- I have merely demonstrated (subject to the above caveat) that my wife can reliably discriminate between two speaker cables in a way that would not be expected due to random chance. This says nothing about the 99.99% of the population who do not possess my wife's musical judgment (or any of her other wonderful gifts, for that matter!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.