Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Do you really have an open mind about wires -- maybe not?

"There's no need to accuse me of a blnd faith in the audibility of cable differences. I'm quite willing to accept that some of the reported differences are imagined. But at least I have an open mind."

RG:
Please don't take any of this too seriously or personally --
they are only wires ... but ... if you really had an open mind,
you would be willing to accept the possibility that NO audiophiles are able to hear wire differences while listening to music under blind conditions ...not just "some".

That possibility remains viable because after over 20 years of
volume-matched blind wire comparisons, no one in the world has yet proven to witnesses his ability to differentiate among wires.

I have asked online Golden Ears to provide one name since 1998
but have had only three claims of double-blind success at home
(never any witness to verify of course) and few test methodology details are provided. I have even offered $1000 to witness a person
who has heard wire differences under blind conditions and would be willing to repeat his success in front of me so I could write an audio club article about.

I have participated in one double-blind speaker cable comparison and performed three single-blind interconnect comparisons to compare borrowed interconnects with my own.

There may actually be no audible difference (#1) but during sighted auditions some audiophiles so strongly believe they hear differences ... that minutes later after the audition methodology
is converted to double-blind (and they fail to differentiate between A and B) these Golden Ears get so frustrated that they declare the ABX test was no good -- there was too much pressure on them to choose A or B -- or whatever excuse comes to mind to dismiss their "failure".

The possibility that sound quality diferences among wires intended for audio use are measurable with test instruments but not audible
to people is never accepted ... even as a remote possibility.
And that's where you stand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.