Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

What I recommend...and have done...

is to get my blind friend and his buddies over for a listening test. I don't have to worry about them seeing what cables, amps, etc I am using. I suppose that if I talk they can sense something from that, so it is not a true double-blind but for me it is close enough. They are an amazing aid, they can tell ic cables, speaker cables, what preamp I am using (switching things out one at a time of course)and etc. Since they live on their hearing, they can be much more discerning and descriptive on what, how, and why they like or dislike somethi.

Their advantage seems to lie in the fact (according to a Scientific American article a few years ago) much more of their brain is devoted to processing sound than in a sighted person. In fact the PET scan showed that in those born blind all the brain circuitry normally devoted to sight is tranferred over to sound processing.

One of my friends could echo-locate by snapping his fingers. I used to mess with him by moving sound-panels around the room...he almost always figured it out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.