Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I think we just reached the point of absurdity...

Richard:

It's clear that we are operating with radically different paradigms.

Once you head down the slippery slope of claiming that there is no long-term memory of the way a system sounds, then it becomes fairly easy to "prove" that any two systems are sonically identical if they cannot be compared in real time. This also invalidates any listening impressions gained over periods of more than a few minutes.

While in college, I used to sell audio equipment. In doing demos of different speaker types, prospective customers would ALWAYS prefer speakers than sounded up-front and hard compared to something more neutral. It was hard to explain that they were going to tire of this sound (which many did) and should buy a more accurate transducer. If your logic is correct, then this would not happen; we're all in a minute-to-minute audio Groundhog Day....

Although it is obviously not possible to remember the exact sonic signature of anything for any significant length of time, it is certainly posible to remember the reaction to it. I can tell you which concerts I attended 5 years ago had good sound, and which were terrible. It certainly isn't by carrying a .wav file around in my head.

So, I can't prove that my system sounds any different than it did 5 years ago. Hell, I can't prove it sounds different than the one-box monaural reel-to-reel I started with in 1972.

But I do know that the system gets closer and closer to the essence of the music.

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think we just reached the point of absurdity... - Commuteman 09:26:12 08/25/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.