Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "Only if audio design is to throw science out the window."

I'm wondering about instrument design and construction. I have several friends who are instrument makers. To the best of my knowledge, they do nothing that could be construed as science, yet they produce some marvelous-sounding devices. While "throw[ing] out the window" by no means describes their attitude, "unnecessary" certainly does.

Sure. Because they're functioning primarily in the subjective realm. They're only worried about a subjective result which is pleasing to them. And hopefully to enough others that they can make a living at it.

Why must audio be constrained within the diktats of current science? Why can it not break free, with results judged like musicians judge instruments?

Audio doesn't need to be constrained within the diktats of science, current or otherwise. And I have NEVER claimed that it must. Audio can be approached in the same subjective realm as instrument making. In fact, that's precisely how I approach it myself.

The problem is, some people aren't quite content with that approach. Some people are insecure and feel that they somehow have to justify their subjective experiences. So they'll attempt to assert their subjective experiences as objective fact.

And once you've done that, you're no longer in the subjective realm of the instrument maker, immune to the diktats of science. Now you're in the objective realm where the diktats of science do indeed apply.

The question you should be asking is why are so many people so insecure? If they were secure, they wouldn't feel any need to try and justify their subjective experience by making objective claims they haven't any objective evidence to substantiate.

If you're secure in the approach you take and the results you get, why should you care what anyone else has to say about it? And why should you feel you have to justify it?

As I've often observed, go into any instrument shop and you'll find only one numeric specification attached to an item on display.

Yes. The pricetag. :)

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.