Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Nice try, Professor...

Every post you make weakens the probability that you even took a course in statistics.

Based on this alone, I conclude that my wife has golden ears and that cables make a difference to her.

You are making conclusions based on one subject and six trials. This is unheard of in the field of statistical study, humorous even.

That is the correct interpretation of statistical significance (a term that is used as a short cut to the more formal statement that I gave.)

You factually stated a statistical probability. Statistical significance is subjective and requires a well-prepared dissertation which needs to be peer-reviewed to have any validity or weight of opinion.

If I toss a coin 100 times and it comes up heads 100 times, I can pretty well rule out the likelihood that it is a fair coin, even though it is only one coin.

This completely contradicts your original assumption about the ability of your wife's hearing. I would counter that if your wife listened to cables and came up with differences six times in a row, I ccould pretty well rule out the likelyhood of a fair test.

I believe the result to be even more profound because my wife is a musician and both of her parents are retired professional conductors.

This is a logic fallacy that even a high school math student could spot. Real mathematicians don't need to prop up their results using correlations with neither proof nor relevence. The results should stand on their own and attempts to make the results look more valid through authoritative logic fallacies really weaken and/or invalidate the conclusions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nice try, Professor... - Monstrous Mike 21:52:15 08/05/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.