Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Yes, I Know It's True!

Kerr,

If you don't mind I'd like to try and restate this so you might, perhaps have a better understanding of what I believe and what I believe Mapleshade is saying, ok?

First let me say that I've heard a pair of Audioquest Emerald interconnects make a larger improvement in sound than changing from $2K OCM 88 preamp to a $4K Counterpoint SA5000 preamp.

Still having said that I don't believe any Subjectivist, myself and Mapleshade included is stating that EVERYTIME you change an interconnect, speakerwire or power cord, the change is going to be as dramatic as the changes you might hear when you change between some speakers.

Why? because when you're thinking of the differences in speakers you're probably thinking of the major differences in sound between completely different speakers like a Quad ESL and say an AR9. Now although I believe with some great effort & time you MIGHT be able to hear such a dramatic difference in wires, one needs to consider that an Quad ESL & an AR9 Dynamic speaker are completely different technologies, so you'd probably notice the change in the sound of the different technologies a lot quicker than with wires. Afterall all interconnects are basically the same technology, no?

That said if we took 10 $5K dynamic speakers, I'd know that the changes in wires could be more dramatic than the change in different $5K dynamic speakers! Now in that light it's now a lot easier to believe that wires can make as much or more difference than your speakers, no?

It's not an always in every single case dramatic improvement. It's just an understanding that wires are an important part of your system, as important as any component you buy! Think of it more like this, you need to take the same amount of time choosing wires as you would between selecting which of the 10 different $5K dynamic speakers you'd choose to use in your system. It's in THAT scenerio were wires can make as much or more difference than your choice speakers!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.