Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Thanks....

Hi John

I use the Lemo's for connections to three motion control axis on my motion control widgets. They were a pain in the butt to wire up, though, but I do like the positive lock. But my application is not very difficult there, as I built hardening into the noise sensitive circuits, things like opto-isolation.

The test guys don't bother with either Lemo's or Fischers for a couple of reasons. First is temperature...we make our own connectors when they have to go into liquid helium, as most connector plastics are not rated for that. We use lots of hypertronics though, and make the connector package custom. Gold on gold is always preferred.

For low level signals at and about 1 microvolt, we have never found any problems with connector contact materials (that I'm aware of).

For the wire, we generally use copper, many different guages, with kapton wrapped insulation against the copper, and Tefzel coating around the kapton. The kapton retains flexibility at 4.2 Kelvin with a monstrous dielectric withstanding of 6Kv per .001 inch, and the tefzel remains somewhat flexible but more importantly, is very durable against chafing and manhandling.

For temp sensors, we use phosphor bronze wire, in stupidly small guages like 34 or 36, but that is just to reduce heat transfer along the wire.

If you wish, I can ask around here to see if any other division uses both to any degree. However, quite honestly, once contact reliability is taken care of, we have found (again, to the best of my knowledge) that a wire is basically a wire, and connector materials are not anything special.

But unlike audio, we worry about and take care of normally mundane things like loop pickup, stray inductance, and vibration induced noise, as they can be very large with kiloamps and tesla's involved.

Sorry I cannot be of more help..Like I said, I will ask other groups if you wish.

Cheers, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.