Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: My preferred statement from Sprey is:

Jacques, Pro-Gold is made by Caig, a LONG ESTABLISHED manufacturer of electronic cleaners and preservers. They obviously saw a market in audio, so they formulated something, with their experience, that works well with typical audio contacts. Most of these contact preservatives have some microcrystaline grease to keep the air out of the spaces between where the contacts actually connect. Pro gold is no more expensive in Caig's range as Cramolin Red or Blue was when it was offered to the public, before they had to change the formulation to comply with new regulations. I still use Cramolin Red on any dirty contact, and if it really is visually compromised, I use Caig DeoxIT D5, in a spray can. I suspect that Cramolin Blue is related to Pro Gold, which I tend not to use, because I have found that microcrystaline greases contained in Pro Gold or Cramolin Blue, or Stablant 22, for that matter, can 'compromise' really clean thick 'gold on gold' surfaces, like on the RCA connectors that I typically use. There, using a diluted solution of Cramolin Red mixed with industrial grade isopropyl alcohol, works to remove any grease deposisted from handling or from the environment, without leaving much of a film.
In truth, I hope that many here now better understand what pro hi end people do to make their contacts as ideal as possible. This is normal in serious hi end recording and practice.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: My preferred statement from Sprey is: - john curl 10:53:50 10/18/06 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.