Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Come & Be Astounded

> You're problem and yes it is a problem is you honestly believe EVERYTHING
> can be measured.

I am glad you have put me straight on that. There was me believing quite the opposite and even wittering on about problems being in the scientific domain in this branch of the thread. It is a pity you cannot go back and correct it to what I should have said.

> Thus your mistaken belief of "...if (thetubeguy) can hear the difference
> between two "normal" audio cables using "normal" stable audio equipment
> under blind conditions then this would be a unique achievement which will
> astound both science and myself."

Where is the belief? It is a simple statement of fact that nobody has ever come forward to claim any of the prizes for hearing valid differences between cables and, as far as I am aware, nobody has ever presented valid results for peer review of people hearing differences between cables using "normal" cables and "normal" stable audio equipment. You would be the first.

> You seem to forget that unlike you, I believe that just because we cannot
> measure a difference heard it doesn't automatically mean we are "fooling
> ourselves" or being influenced by "expecation bias" etc. I believe there
> are things happening, due to human perceptions being involved, that we
> don't know how to measure yet.

Do you believe that we change an acoustical signal and measure it by an amount smaller than we can perceive by ear?

Do you believe we can ask someone whether they perceive two sounds to be audibly the same or different and get a reply?

What else do you believe is fundamentally necessary to measure if people can perceive audible differences?

> So perhaps if you opened the closed mind just a crack you wouldn't judge
> the chances of what I can do, before seeing a test performed!

I am estimating your chances as being pretty much the same as everyone elses. To date it has been 100% one way and 0% the other. I wish you luck in bucking the trend but the odds aren't good.

> Your zero lack of interest, is quite typical of the Lunatic Fringe
> Objectivists here who don't want the truth, they want to be right (even
> when they aren't.)

I am afraid you cannot force people to be interested you will have to find a way to tempt them on their terms. If you can come up with unexpected and valid scientific data you will get a lot of interest from the scientific community. If you proclaim unexpected results but based on invalid data you will get little to no interest particularly if the path has been well trodden before. And the path for claims about magic cables has been well and truly worn out since their invention at the end of the hifi boom.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.