Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: This I do not understand....

A 20 Khz sound has a period of 50 microseconds, for reference.

Many systems are described by either the bandwidth, expressed as the frequency where the response is 3 db down, or by the risetime of the system, how fast it can respond to a change of signal. The relationship between the two is inverse, as in Freq is proportional to 1/slew rate.

A system which is capable of responding to a 5, or 10 uSec transient usually is a system that has a very high bandwidth, one which is far beyond human hearing capability.(I've been saying 20 uSec, but the study I saw had several subjects clearly distinguishing down to 10uSec.

To say that a human can distinguish a 10 uSec difference in delay almost implies that we can hear in the 50 to 100 Khz range, which is clearly not possible.

But to get 10uSec response from an audio device requires the designer make the amplifier capable of very high bandwidth response.
As John Curl said, he claimed he heard the diff between a 35 Khz filter and a 100Khz filter..But, he is not saying he can hear up there. My take is that he can hear the transient response differences, although some would try to take him to task as saying that he is hearing 35Khz stuff, which he did not say.

Cheers, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.