Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Why are the comparisons always between CD & Vinyl?

For those of us who are too young to have ever bought more than a few silly records, the CD freed us from the cassette tape. We need to keep in mind that not too many people ever listened to vinyl in their cars or on easily portable systems. In that context, I think the CD is a pretty damn good solution. Sure, it could have been much better for the audiophile, but us loons are a small part of the market and difficult customers to boot.

Regardless of the countless techincal sonic issues with CDs, it is a much more convenient medium than anything else available in the mid-80's, and we all know the mass market loves convenience.

Of course, you're probably multiple decades older than I, so I wouldn't expect us to have the same context on an issue like this :-) If I had any sort of meaningful vinyl collection when CDs emerged, I would probably think/feel differently, too.

As for your wish, if I remember correctly, I believe a Sony rep did chime in on one of the threads regarding CD track sequencing versus jumping. The gentleman stated that he had heard the effects of this phenomenon, and that his rig was immune to it due to the numerous pieces of expensive gear in his digital front end. I don't recall his name and can't find the post for the life of me though, so I may be nuts.

-Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.