Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Hi Ted. what you do??edit a typo?

Howdy

If you give a DAC or the program too few samples you are convolving a rectangular window which by definition has infinite bandwidth.

The code I gave is C++ and it generated the .wav file I used as input to Cool Edit Pro and that I played out my DACs.

Cool Edit Pro is simulating a DAC by applying the correct brick wall filter and then resampling at the rate dictated by the number of pixels on the screen (or thereabouts) to draw the waveform.

Sorry I don't have to do your parametric filter test, I've been there, done that, etc. If I had my Digital Audio Workstation alive I would do the experiment just to humor you, but then you'd need to understand it's algo's to believe that it's doing the experiment you want. On the other hand I don't happen to have this kind of analog equipment laying around at my house to do the experiment in the analog domain. But like I said I used to do this stuff for a living and remember people arguing about this till the cows came home. I also have bad memories of people not getting it in school when they were only doing the math and clearing things up for them in another lab where I had the equipment to demo things for people. In a previous life I've written similar display code to that of Cool Edit Pro, just so customers didn't get confused.

Just because I thought you might ask, tho, I did play this file thru three of my DACs and got the same answer, no 1k envelope modulations (boy I'm glad my daughter wasn't here when I played that, she'd be complaining that I'm deaf at that freq.)

Yep, make a donation to the Asylum and get hosting for anywhere. Rod doesn't limit the pictures to just be displayed at this site.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.