Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I like this explanation

Peter, I would like to inject in here, that in 1974, Jon Meyer and I had our really good research lab. We used B&K 4133 condenser mikes that had an extended response to 40 KHz or so, and a pretty good pulse response, better than 9us risetime. This is better than most microphones then or now, BUT Mark Levinson, Stellavox, The Grateful Dead, and others used these mikes as their working reference. We found that they sounded 'more extended' DUH ! ;-) They were quiet enough, thanks to me, because I lowered their noise by about 10dB in the electronics.
Better than this is difficult, but it sure beats CD's, even perfect ones. We found that our hearing is not completely limited to what people say: Many people, especially when young, can hear extended respose to about 25KHz, but what seems to be really important is 'transient response' . I have run 'informal' tests myself where we could easily tell the difference between a 35KHz single pole filter and an 100KHz single pole rolloff. Tough nuts to those who have never tried it, properly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.