Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Ok, so can you explain how these thermal effects might manifest themselves?

""Oh sure, and when we change the cable to something else, the effects disappear. How does that happen?""JC

Hmmmm...let's start with seebeck/peltier....If you look back at the work function coefficients, you will see that some metals have damn near the same numbers...copper, gold, and silver, for example..So cables using only those would have much less effect, than say tin, aluminum, nickel.. So, for Seebeck/peltier...you have to consider all the path interfaces.

Or, let's consider ground loop/shield resistance ratio..If the shield resistance is high, it will present a higher portion of loop intercept across the cable length, vs across the equipment ground..

""For the record, I have two different reference cables that don't significantly distort in my test. They are made by two different companies, and have two different metal compositions. They only share the fact that teflon is used as the insulator.""JC

For dielectric questions, I would defer to you and others, as I've not considered or worked with those issues..But, as I recall, I asked you if you had correlated the cable composition with the results...And your response was "I don't care what's causing it". And if you look at the work functions of the metals involved, you will see how some combinations of materials can look rather identical.

""Almost all other cables have specific higher order harmonics at low levels. Why? All I know, is that the test is repeatable with each specific cable, good or bad.""JC

And again...I have considered the fact that you have seen repeatable, cable specific differences in my thinking on the possible effects responsible.

""Thermoelectric effects? Please show me how.""JC

That is, of course, my intent to prove..it will either show yes or no..

But, having just a "tad" of experience at testing for things I would never have considered before, I refuse to be as glib as you when it comes to science and physics.

I will propose only scenario's and effects that can be tested for. Not hogwash..

We seem to differ in that respect.

Cheers, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.