Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I think you're missing my point a bit.....

Thanks for your input, John. Please let me try again if I fumbled on the first attempt...

If you look at other posts of mine, you'll see that I'm a proponent of listening to things to both quantify and qualify small changes in sonic performance, rather than writing off small differences as imaginary simply becuase no one has yet figured out how to measure the subtle things that humans can hear. Cables are a perfect example of this. The whole reason we have yeasayers and neasayers is because there is no widely accepted method for measuring with devices other than humans.

Like you, I know what I hear, and I don't need any measurements to tell me what I hear. I'm definitely not claiming that I can hear all that can be measured (and thus the value of measurements), but I'm definitely claiming that I can hear things which we don't yet know how to accurately measure.

I suppose some may see the aim of this thread as something that would end up taking some of the art out of designing a new component or assembling a fine sounding system, but I don't think that would ever happen, regardless of how far audio science happens to advance. Look at the automotive hobbyists for a good example of this. Making big horsepower with high volumetric efficiency is very much a science these days, and while there's no shortage of guys putting turbos, intercoolers, custom programming, a wing and a fart pipe on a Civic, it's not hard to find guys who'll still throw a carbureted big block into a '76 Vega - both guys are gonna have fast cars, but they achieve the results in very different ways (and other than both being fast, both will have very, very different characteristics that you love, hate, or perhaps don't even notice depending on your taste and senses).

I'm off to listen to music until I fall asleep now, but if anyone has any ideas how I can produce some measurements that will prove to people that I'm not crazy when I claim I hear a significant difference between two cables, please do chime in.

-Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.