Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Hi Ted. what you do??edit a typo?

""Cool Edit Pro (and your DAC) have no idea what waveform I gave, but the peak is reconstructed accurately from the samples present.""TED

Ted...try presenting it the samples from .19625 to .19655 only.

Bet it doesn't give you the correct peak..

Looked at the notation you provided..fraid I'm clueless as to what it says..my fault, not yours..

What is the math cool edit pro uses to reconstruct the underlying waveform? is it the same math that is applied to the output of a CD??

At first, I had thought the oversampling techniques did that, but apparently not.

""Anyway go listen to your 14kHz sampled and reconstructed at 32k, 44.1k, 48k, 96k, etc. They all sound the same to my ears and have the same amplitude.""ted

The only thing I have to play it back on here is cd type stuff..so I can't yet do that..My newer 24/192k card may support that, but it's still in the box..I think I'll just build a new computer around it instead of the infernal problem of "new hardware found".

""It also agrees with theory.""ted

In theory, yes..but the application is not up to the theory. My DSP prof's never used truncated signals to support nyquist. They did, however, show how truncated signals cannot provide optimal reconstruction. Some kind of convolution between the sampling window and the signal of interest, from what I recall..definitely fuzzy on that, though.

""Why would I believe your eyes instead of mine and my ears and the theory? :)""ted

Ummmm because I'm such a nice guy???. :-)

A really cool test of what we speak? Take the pure file, .wav it, play it into a typical CD player, and scope it..Then use a parametric set high Q, look for the artifacts I see with my eyes..by scanning the parametric across the 500 hz to 5 k range.

You're correct..It's my eyes here, not my ears..And I also think I wouldn't hear a diff over the rates..

I love this crap....

Thanks Ted,

John
BTW, does 25 dollars get me the ability to put pics on AA? Cause I really like AR for that capability.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.