Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

What if...

... a rich guy buys some voodoo stands that in addition to doing not what they purport to do at all, hold up the equipment nicely and add to the AESTHETIC of the room? Is not aesthetic of the room important. C'mon guys. Custom room professionally finished with task lighting and nice floor coverings versus a rag-tag partially finished basement area with a cheap throw-rug over the concrete floor, CDs and junk everywhere and warehouse style two-lamp fluorescent fixtures on bare joists hooked up with lamp cord? I've heard systems in rooms like the latter. The former room is just more fun to listen in. Part of the concert experience is the glamor and glitz of the hall, and the velvet seats and sexy lighting.

Enjoying art is not a science experiment or lab. It's a human experience. The aesthetic - the perception. It's all part of it. Poorly engineered audio equipment or a bad room with wicked bass nodes is not going to help. But other seemingly important specifications and design goals may become lost in translation.

I spend a lot of time making speakers adhere to rather strict design goals. Some sound very nice at the end, as a properly engineered speaker should. But if someone does not like that speaker, do I lambast them for having a preference for something other than "X transfer function" or do I realize that people have different references, different hearing curves and simply different preferences?

You can't engineer the human factor out of human beings.

Nor can you have a single formula for "correct" that fits everyone when it comes to an aesthetic experience.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What if... - Presto 12:44:14 11/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.