Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I believe

you are overgeneralizing. In all my years of audio I can not recall any manufacturer claiming that the plating of a CONNECTOR contributed to the skin effect. All I read used gold primarily as an anticorrosive measure.

Still you claim that the plating has no audible effect . Have you actually tried this? I know you seem to distrust Cardas but the company offers ends available in a choice of silver gold or rhodium plate. Have you tried listening to identical cables made with the different ends? Or more cheaply, Mouser sells Deltron ends available in silver plated center pin or gold plated. While you claim no audible difference, I hear rather distinct differences, even though a file test reveals no significant differences in the base metal or the lower layers of plating.

Now you will claim that testing will reveal no difference. Could it be you need to test for something else? Theoretically, the only factors influencing cables are inductance, resistance, and capacitance. Yet we know that insulation dielectric has an effect or we would never bother with teflon, and not simply for the temperature resistance. What other parameters which exist could possibly have an effect?

In this, I am reminded of the head of the US Patent office , who in the late 1800's proclaimed that everything worth patenting had already been invented.

The most important factor you forget is the source material for music. Evaluating a sine wave is one thing; music is a another animal entirely. The interactions, overtones, all add a level of complexity no instrument I know of can measure.

Because recording quality can vary so much, what recordings do you use for evaluation? I have maintained for a long time now, that a truly neutral system will reveal the microphone set up of the session. That means one has to collect recordings with known recordings set ups ( they do exist, BTW: early Audio Quest recordings have photos of the recording s
set up, RCA early classical are well documented as are Decca, and Mercury). Using these recordings as a base, it is possible to obtain a relatively neutral set up.

That being said not all like to listen to these recordings. You could be a Linda Ronstadt buff as many of my acquaintances were in the 70's. You could set up your system to make her recordings sound fabulous, but not many others will sound the same. However, if you listen to her a lot, who's to say that it is wrong.

You look for accuracy, however your very own experience in making recordings seem to indicate otherwise. You openly admit your sense of aesthetics dominate the mike placement and acoustic control devices. Is that really accurate?

You say that Zobel networks eliminating RF effects are measurable and audible, yet earlier you state that RF frequencies are unimportant being that they lie beyond the range of human hearing. There is an inherent contradiction of your statements here.

And then I would raw your attention to the good old laws of thermodynamics. You know, the one that states energy can not be created or destroyed. What is wrong in transmuting that energy into a form more consonant to one's hearing? Since we can not eliminate it, why not change it to emphasize one's musical tastes?

obviously, YMMV

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I believe - unclestu 16:00:04 11/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.