Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Brings up an interesting point

Hass points out that localization is depending on the arrival of the first wave. Because real music has transient attacks, the waveforms are NOT symmetrical. Reversed absolute polarity can lead to ear "hearing" what may be construed as a delayed waveform, particularly in considering the time delays inherent in many speaker designs. While this generally screws up the localization effects present in many recordings, it would explain why it is difficulat for some to hear spatial localization. I

Hass and Blauert use a lot of white noise for their testing (not all, however). White noise has NO leading edge, making localization cues very difficult (read Blauert's U. Mich. papera, for example).

Dangerous to generalize without taking into account all aspects of the experiments.

I have long been an advocate of proper time and phase alignment of playback transducers. The Measurements which the strange guy desires are already known, mesured and published, but he seems to ignore some fundamentally basic issues, and that is primarly with transducers designs.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.