Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Measurement and Perception and the Value of Each (Long Post)

I consider myself a pure objectivist. If something can be heard it can be measured.

That said a stereo that has little or no fidelity that plays to audibility can cost almost nothing. But a stereo that plays at lifelike levels in extremely large listening spaces, is capable of full range performance AND fidelity to a wide diversity of recordings can be astronomically expensive.

IMO, at given price points, the best stereo systems cost less than the most accurate systems at any price point because they sound better - ie. their strengths and weakness's align with the persons preferences who buys them. Of course some listeners may prefer the most accurate (greatest frequency range, loudness and fidelity) at any price point but given the fuzzy nature of recording quality and variability of listening spaces the probability is unlikely.

All that said, given a diverse set of recording qualitys (or an ideal one) systems will tend toward being more accurate than less accurate.

But that's just my opinion.

Edits: 11/04/12 11/05/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Measurement and Perception and the Value of Each (Long Post) - Goober58 20:15:48 11/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.