Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: How should I know?

How in the F would I know what metrics cover the performance of preamps or amps for that matter?

Thank you for illustrating my point. Apparently, you only have blind faith in the notion that all audible differences can be measured.

Do you really not understand what the audio experience provides?

1. Resolution

The ability to discern fine detail with instruments. Hear the rosin of a bowed string. The decay of bell trees and triangles. Articulate the human voice and hear the performer's breath. Be able to pick apart individual voices in a chorus.

2. Dynamic punch

Slam factor. The ability of the system to deliver instantaneous jumps in dynamic range from the softest to loudest passages. Provide a sense of authority that the system never runs out of power and is at ease.

3. Soundstaging

How well a component can define the physical space of the original recording. While multi-miked recordings are of little value here, minimally miked ones can have incredible width and depth. You are aware of the boundaries of the venue.

4. Frequency extension

Regardless of the measured frequency response, some components deliver more extended response at the extremes. They also give you qualitative improvements. Bass can actually present texture, not only a sine wave of low frequency content.

Ask any competent engineer and you'll find out there are no magical graphs or metrics that full quantify the performance of any audio component.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.