Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You're preaching to the choir

I am against people using "fake engineering speak" to describe what something DOES when that something it "does" is a) not able to be substantiated or b) is just complete nonsense.

These types of things should be reported.

But if all they say is "use my cable supports, they make your stereo sound better." well, if the causality of the PERCEPTION of better sound simply lies in suggestion (placebo effect), it's irrelevant because if the user PERCIEVES an improvement, they did get what they paid for.

If a pharmacy charges you $10 for a sugar pill but it's been making your heacaches go away, do you get your money back because it was a sugar pill? Or do you happily pay because your headache went away.

This argument/discussion is a philosophical one because the philosophy transcends the usual 'subjectivist/objectivist' debate. The latter debate is two groups with different agendas who believe they have the SAME agenda making them BOTH wrong. Wrong to be arguing that is.

Each group is, in essence, using equipment to reproduce audio in different ways for different things. For the objectivist, the "assembled final system, in room" is an engineered solution of sorts, and it's performance is what leads to a pleasurable listening experience. The subjectivist uses a more "artisan" approach, and uses "try it and see" methods which may have no more validity or explanation other than "that looks pretty" or "it's expensive - it must work" or "so and so said it made an improvement".

I am not sure I see any reason to argue with someone who openly admits that paying for the placebo effect is fine, as I would not want to waste time with someone like Atkinson if he believes what he is quoted as saying there. Not out of malice or disrespect, just because that person and I share slightly different belief systems.

I've seen subjectivists and objectivists in the same room both agreeing that a system sounded damned good and neither camp took any measurements.

It's actually often the objectivists who make assertions about the value of measurements and they do not always do them themselves. One thing is for certain, I don't think too many subjectivists are secretly doing measurements or reading up on a library of specifications.

Getting a paint to match a paint chip is engineering. Using that paint to create pleasing artwork is not an engineered solution, but relied on engineering to get the "right" color and to provide an artists with repeatable results, like the ability to buy more of the exact same color!

Gotta get some work done now...

Cheers,
PResto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You're preaching to the choir - Presto 12:25:36 11/12/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.