Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Well, bits have been known to misbehave...

"It would be a b1tch to have to check 1000 or more titles for glitches..."

Exactly. I rip CDs so they can be sold as downloads. Before I upload them I have to check them to make sure the rip was OK. I use EAC and dBpoweramp to do this and if I get a secure rip then I am good to go. If the rip fails then I demand another copy of the CD from the source. Generally, I can't use Accurate Rip as these CDs aren't in the database, so I am relying on the error detection capability of my optical drive and the software. In this regard I have much more faith in dBpoweramp, because it is easier to set up. But EAC can be OK if one has set it up correctly and has verified this by testing with known bad CDs.

Listening is not an adequate test for quality. It is very easy to miss errors that someone else might hear (or that one might hear oneself on another day). Typical undetected or incorrectly corrected errors will be a tick, often audible but occasionally quite quiet. Interpolated errors (where a bad sample is guessed at by interpolation) can be harder to hear, if not impossible depending on the music. Usually they are hard to hear if one just listens to the error stream (bad music minus known good music), e.g. a one sample tick that is -40 dBfs.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.