Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Oops

"His major point, which I believe is that audiophiles would be better off it they tried diligently to understand and quantify the phenomena underlying what they hear, is music to my ears. "

That's not what he said - he insists upon the importance of audiophiles understanding and quantifying audio performance via measurements.

And BTW to your point - sure they would be better off if they successfully understood the underlying phenomena - but really these are audiophiles not engineers and designers. There's no reason at all for audiophiles to have to tread those waters.

I would submit that understanding measurements and measured performance is not a requirement for an audiophile, and even more so for an audiophile using a rigorous comparison methodology. IMO though such concepts may help an audiophile get good results more quickly but taken too far (an who knows how far that it is) they may also blind that person from the gear that could give them the greatest listening satisfaction.

I think most designers and engineers should rely on measurements much more than an audiophile. That said IMO the best designers and engineers are the ones who finalize their designs based on listening.

Measurements are important rivaling listening on the design side - but no matter how you slice this pie how one qualifies any spec or performance measurement is a subjective opinion. On the audiophile side, measurements fall far below in comparison to ones listening impression.

Edits: 12/05/12 12/05/12 12/05/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Oops - Goober58 07:11:17 12/05/12 (1)
    • RE: Oops - rick_m 08:30:21 12/06/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.