Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Please Tony....

It's not so simple. Every time one plays the same recording it will sound different. This will be the case even if the sound waves were to be identical, because the listener's mind would not be identical. But the sound waves won't be identical because of random noise, changes in air pressure, humidity, temperature, changes of temperature of the electronics, etc...

There there are cases of people hearing "imaginary" differences. This is common. The classical case is the recording engineer who spends ten minutes tweaking the EQ on a recording and making it perfect only to discover that the "bypass" button had been pushed and all his tweaking resulted in imaginary improvements. (I've been there and done that, BTW.)

There is also the problem that measurements are limited in accuracy by the test equipment used and it will be difficult to get reliable measurements unless the test equipment is 10 times better than the equipment under test. That's the case with junk audio components, but not necessarily with high end equipment.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Please Tony.... - Tony Lauck 12:17:44 11/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.