Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: I posted.............

Ha ... true. It was a gift, from Oracle. From years back. I've upgraded it to a MkV from a MKIII.

I have yet to find a truely neutral cartridge, and doubt I will. But what I do like about the Koestsu is the tracking, and speed. And the imaging and phase coherancy is spot on. It is a bit warm having some dips in the upper midrange in its amplitude response. It's nowhere near what I'd like to have, but I havent found anything more neutral ... yet.

However, I noticed you didn't mention I use Bryston amps. Not expensive by audiophile standards, but absolutley transparent. What goes in is what comes out, just higher in level. Low THD, Low IMD, high damping factor, wide amplitude and frequency response, high current output down to DC, at almost any load. And a 20 year unconditional warrantee to back it up.

Nor did you mention I use a $1700 Apogee DAC. Unlike most of the audiophile DAC's it actually coverts to analog from whatever the source is. In other words (and I'm simplifying again) it coverts 24/192 directly to analog without any intermediary digital to digital down conversion. Most of the hi-end audio DAC's like the dCS take the 24/192, down-convert it to 16/44.1 then covert it to analog. Also all the clocks are 44.1 using multipliers to achieve higher clock rates. So you start with a clock at 44.1 with 10ppm accuracy, put it through multipliers 3 times to get 172 at an accuracy of 30ppm (maybe, the stability of the multipliers is not published). The Apogee internal clocks operate at all rates without multipliers and do so at a 1ppm accuracy. (Their external Master clock, called the "Big Ben", has an accuracy specified as "unmeasurable" since no test equipment exists yet that can measure to that degree, even at NIST.)

My Apogee cost about $1700 which is the retail price. Oh ... And it does A/D as well. And this is the cheap model. AND ... this is the converter used on about 95% of all the digital recordings made, and most of the digital mastering done. So I have zero jitter, because I use the same clock standard as was used to record the audio, master the audio, and make the CD, at whatever bit depth or sampling rate. And I can archive my LP's to digital using 24/192 because I have A/D.

But yeah ... I have an expensive romantic Koetsu.

JRL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I posted............. - jrlaudio 09:17:23 11/03/12 (1)
    • Huh? - Tony Lauck 09:47:27 11/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.