Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Are we discussing test equipment or audio systems?

On the contrary the output of a stereo is music and the stereos performance should be first and foremost judged on it's ability to recreate music.

As far as your accuracy point goes someone like me must concede the issue however if the stereo is good enough to provide musical enjoyment over a wide diversity of music styles and recording qualities some degree of measurable accuracy will be required - no doubt excess colorations alienate recordings but the colorations accepted will be less than excessive and selected to expand ones musical horizon. This IMO is the purpose of owning a nice stereo - to expand our musical horizons via enjoying all kinds of music. A great stereo is required!

On the other hand, some who listen, can and do make objective listening observations based on experience and training. This methodology bypasses the need to attempt to quantify measureable parameters. So it's true that these kinds of systems may measure less good what's important is that they perform well enough to fool the experienced listener into believing what they are hearing is live. And that's a requirement that cannot be substantiated by any measurement or conglomeration of measurements.

Certainly for most of us who chose to judge a stereos performance by ear it seems outrageous that someone could conclude a stereos performance based on measurements.

Edits: 11/24/12 11/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.