Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "how about we set a few things straight?"

agreed - if a review magazine only reviews because they are going to get money then there is a serious problem.

JA has had to defend those attacks as well and then has to put out statistics to show how many non advertisers get reviewed vs advertisers.

Those issues I'm sure will always be brought up if you accept advertising of any kind. But if you don't accept advertising then how do you make any money? I mean if I am going to quit my day job to do it full time I need to make a living - if I run a website I am going to need advertising - and a lot of it - to be able to run the e-zine or print magazine.

I think it's a reality - and if you're a one person outfit like the Tone fellow then you have to do it all - at least to get it started.

I don't think there is any way around it - at least for the first several years unless you become big.

UHF magazine is a print magazine and there are lots of companies out there that will not send them anything - Arcam for years refused to since they gave a product a bad review.

The problem though is that UHF loses Arcam but other big companies that know about UHF won't send them anything - which is why you never see Paradigm or B&W - their advice columns have poo pooed them in the past.

So companies would rather send their gear to more sure bet publications. The companies that send to UHF tend to be smaller outfits who need to take the chance because they don't have the dealer network required by big magazines like Stereophile.

On the flip side a good review could mean a bit more because of the fact that they rip stuff - then when they do like something the review stands out more. No one need read between the lines to figure out how much the reviewer "really" liked it.

Unfortunately it means they don't get a lot of products to review because many companies will just avoid those publications.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.