Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: One of the problems with ezines...

I think there are several issues at play with what is ethical and what isn't. And I think you have to consider the manufacturer here as well since there are people's jobs on the line if a bad review comes out. Yes reader's come first but there does need to be serious consideration for the manufacturer end of things. After all there could be reviewers out there who will deliberately go after some company because he has a personal vendetta against someone.

So looking at the review process from the manufacturer point of view - well they are only going to send something for review if they think it will benefit them in some way - it's free advertising (well cost of shipping). Would they want to cherry pick - of course but logically it only makes sense.

You don't send your horn speaker to the panel reviewer who has publicly stated that he hates horns. That does a disservice to both the manufacturer and the reader - the reader should want the Horn/SET gear sent to the HORN/SET lover because I as a Horn/SET guy want to know that the reviewer has good ears (LOL) and that he can tell me how good it is in the field of Horn/SET or how it stacks up in the value for the dollar department. Having the guy who hates the technology say he hates them doesn't help me and only serves to hurt the manufacturer's employees and dealers.

As for your arguments about no advertising - I agree with you fully - the best way to remove bias (certainly perception of bias) is removed. If you don't take any money and refuse to you are illustrating that you can't be bought. Of course that doesn't really stop a company from saying - I'll give you $10,000 in cash to give us a great review - hush hush wink wink nudge nudge.

Although I suppose if this was rampant we'd see a lot more pro BOSE reviews since they have enough money and they love marketing so...

Ultimately what I am saying is there is a difference between the "perception of integrity" and really having integrity. If someone is willing to be bought they can be bought.

Still I would consider what I said before - a print magazine can not survive without advertising dollars. The advertising price tag is very high for manufacturers - their survival depends upon it. I don't think you can say that about the online magazines.

Now I am talking a bit out my arse here since I've never run a website but I can't imagine the dollars to be very high - not high enough to be "buy" the editor.

And isn't the check also the reviewer? The reviewer is on the front line - if the editor changes it drastically then the reviewer can call him on it no? The editor can also serve as a check on his reviewers.

I use my magazine as an example - basically I am told - go review whatever you like. Until this thread I had no clue who advertised on our website (heck I get targeted audio ads when I go to Yahoo so there is probably some cookie that knows what I look at and targets me - I've tuned out the side bar adverts

Anyway on the front page it's all stuff I'll never be able to afford - Acapella speakers $80 grand LOL - and that's a cheap speaker for them. Ypsilon, Bergman, Einstein - Maybe I could afford Ayon. I don't even know if I've heard an Ayon.

What I would like to see at all magazines is a very clear code of ethics in writing and an explanation of policy. Manufacturers and dealers and consumers can see it right there in print. If the policy at Tone is that they will send something back if it sounds bad and won't review the item then it has to be explained why that decision was made. At least then you know what their policy is even if you don't agree with their policy.

Bottom line - trust yourself. People don't give themselves enough credit for trusting their own ears. That way you can read the reviews as pure entertainment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.