Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The ethics of accepting products for review with the promise of advertising.

I imagine sometimes a product is sent for review and at that time, discussions around advertising are initiated by the manufacturer. There isn't anything a reviewer can do to stop a manufacturer from making a suggestion of advertising at that point in time. Just like anything similar in life, you have to do what you think is right. I don't think it makes a difference if it is for an audio magazine review or not.

On the other hand, it is extremely rare, but I've had one reviewer contact me and imply the reverse. In other words, bringing up advertising at the point in time they are asking about reviewing my product. This made me very uncomfortable and I ended up not sending them anything for a review.

In all other cases, for the venues that directly managed their advertising, I have only been approached to ask if I would like to advertise after a review was posted and available to the public. I believe this is a fine situation. In many cases I choose not to advertise with them, based on how I thought it would be best to allocate my marketing spend.

For other venues, advertising is independently managed by a ad firm. In this situation, it's likely they found out about me due to the review, but this is not always the case as I've been contacted about advertising on venues or ad networks because an ad person found out about me through a trade show or something similar. I imagine in those situations there should be very close to zero, if not completely zero, correlation between advertising and the reviewer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The ethics of accepting products for review with the promise of advertising. - Wesley Miaw 14:07:40 03/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.