Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

I don't know what the policy's of all the magazines are, but it's not correct today to assume print runs one way and e-zines run another.

Despite what the print publishers say, the print-based magazines are failing at an alarming rate, not just in audio but all industries. I'm good friends with people who work for various print magazines and they all have one foot out the door because most are on the verge of failing. That's not meaning all are going out of business, but all aspects of the Internet are taking a piece of the pie -- e-zines, videos, websites, etc. -- and the print mags are hurting because of it.

Also, the sizes aren't the same anymore. If you look at the staff size of a number of the print magazines, it's one or two. Not all again, but many -- again, in audio and in other areas. I would say more money is being put to the Web these days, for good reason.

The budgets of many of the print magazines are also shrinking. I'm surprised how little coverage the print mags do at shows anymore, how little traveling they're doing to events and to factories, etc. These are areas we're happening to spend a lot on. Again, being an e-zine doesn't mean necessarily a shoestring budget. I suspect we spend more this way than most in our industry, if not all.

So your points are well taken, but the thing I won't agree with at all (and I'm not sure if you said it or others, I'd have to check) is the line between print and e-zines. Most print magazines aren't running like people think anymore, and neither are most of the e-zines.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

Edits: 02/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.