Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

Hi,

Actually, when it comes to the New York Times thing, I think most stopped watching years ago. It's been so long that I'm guessing a bit on time-frames, but it was relevant maybe 8 years ago? There was even a documentary produced about the newspaper's transition into the digital age. Again, that was a couple years ago. It's been a long time.

The truth of the matter is that it was watched, but then other factors have come into play -- one being figuring out a "better" way. On the surface the subscription model seems good. But is it the best way? I think it was for print; I don't think it is for the Web.

I have one acquaintance who is amazingly successful in photography and extremely Web savvy. He believes in giving a large portion of his work away, and then charging handsomely for other aspects. On the one side, the giveaway work builds his name and brand worldwide. On the other side, he makes his living. The two work hand in hand.

That's not to say that's the model for publishing on the Web, but to say that these days there are different ways to look at and approach things. I don't think the subscription model is really going to be the way.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage! Network

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.