Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: One of the problems with ezines...

It still comes down to who is running it. It's not as if corporations are ethically superior to a one man shop - nor is it automatic that a one man show is ethically better than a corporation - then again corporations are never ethical. And if they claim to be - and if one believes it - then I have a bridge to sell you.

As a reviewer at dagogo - I can pretty much review whatever the hell I like from anyone whether they advertise or not is irrelevant since I don't get paid. And since I don't get paid there is zero reason for me personally to choose an advertised product or not.

And other than changing some grammar and spelling - my stuff doesn't get edited. And if that is the case for me it is the case for every other writer.

And it's probably the same at every known magazine print or not. The reviewers themselves have no interest, unless I am naive and missing something, in who is advertising.

An editor can simply ensure he has a writing staff that covers all the audiophile camps - need a LE high power SS reviewer - check. Need a "has to measure great in an anechoic chamber or it's crap" guy - check. Need a couple nutty Tube and SET and HE speakers guys - check. Need a guy who loves to write about classical music - check - need some panel lovers - check - need some younger newer and more technical savvy writers for those new fangled super up converting MP3 flac guys - check. Need a guy who likes rock and pop so the magazine doesn't seem to stodgy - check.

I mean once you have all those people you're pretty much set as a magazine - send of the super Soolos system to the tech head - the SET to the SET guy - the classical recordings to the guy who can sit through Mahler without killing himself and you've got a winning combination.

Magazines don't review gear - PEOPLE review gear. The fact that a bunch of people work under the umbrella of a magazine should not be confused with the reviewer speaking for the magazine.

The magazine is just a shell to house the review staff. And you can see this based on the very different reviewers that the magazines have. The fact that there was a good speaker review doesn't mean that I or another reviewer liked the speaker - it means the one reviewer liked it. You just have to look at what they buy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.