Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

Hi John,

Obviously, we both have horses in the race(s), but I think the real proof of what's happening is that we see print either going out of business or moving increasingly to Web, but we don't see Web going to print really. In other words, it's obvious where the future lies.

I think one can either put their head in the sand or put on a brave face, but I'm sure the folks at Blockbuster Video were doing the same thing a number of years ago when Netflix took hold and basically paved the way to the future. Blockbuster today?

That's not to say that print will completely die. Print as it's been done in the past will die because it comes down to the mechanism for delivery, and with what most magazines deliver these days, the better mechanism is the Internet. It's as simple as that.

But for years I've said that there's a place for print today, but I don't think it has to do with width and depth. Those things can be replicated online today, probably better. The key comes to taking the strengths of the medium and leveraging that.

Do you know that Sunday mornings are, for me, a trip to the bookstore to magazine read? I do that partly to see what's being done in publishing these days, as well as keep abreast of competitors, but also to admire certain magazines. I look at magazines such as Men's Journal, Vanity Fair, GQ, and a few others, as great print magazines that deserve to remain in print. What they're doing their -- layout, content, photography, etc. -- can't be replicated as well online. In other words, these mags wouldn't be the same or better. I constantly tell our writers, "These are examples of how it should be done." The rest of the mags, well, it's hit and miss.

In the audio world, I feel the best print magazine on the market today is Paul Miller's "Hi-Fi News and Record Review" out of the UK. I've gotten to know Paul and I've commended him on it. There are a variety of reasons why I like it, but one of the main ones is that each month seems so cohesive and well thought out. That, to me, can also be a strength of print that few seem to consider today like they did decades ago. So many magazines today just seem like a mish-mash of articles that could just as easily be offered for download.

Doug Schneider

Edits: 02/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.