Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "When a magazine depends almost solely on adv. dollars to survive this publication ceases to be objective"

I have a friend who has been in publishing (not audio) as an editor and publisher for decades. He is an extremely bright guy, we were in high school at the same time and he got a perfect 1600 on his SATs. He laughs at the notion of an unbreachable firewall between advertising and journalism. His argument, and I think Gore Vidal made a similar one, is that there doesn't need to be any overt quid pro quo. The journalism staff, unless they are completely gormless, know who are the major advertisers and what kind of copy might adversely affect subscription rates. They have a seat at the table because they accept a tacit matrix of assumptions and perspective. It is wired into their subconscious and in the air they breathe.
Audio journalism tends to compound this tendency by virtue of the unusually high level of interaction between the reviewers and the companies producing the products under review. Factor in accommodation pricing, the occasional lunch or dinner, perhaps a trip to the factory, system set up help, other social interactions, etc. and claims that none of this, in any way, influences copy just doesn't pass the common sense test.
I'm not trying to make audio journalists out to be bad guys. I respect some members of the audio press and I think that most of them want to do a good job. I subscribed to HFN & RR, The Absolute Sound, Fi, Listener and several others and I still subscribe to Stereophile. I don't, however, believe in their unbiased objectivity any more than I believe in the tooth fairy.
"There are political consequences to remembering things that never happened and forgetting things that did." Ariel Levy

Edits: 02/28/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.