Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

There are no unbiased experts.

"You've managed to completely dodge the huge body of research that indicates that researchers, despite their best intentions, are highly susceptible to bias."

There are no unbiased experts. If you want to find out the truth of some matter you either do the necessary work yourself or you use someone else. If the latter, you are depending on that person's expertise and integrity. The problem is that experts gain their expertise through experience and that experience necessarily biases their point of view. Such is human nature. The legal system and investigative panels (such as the panels established by the National Research Council) deal with the problem by employing multiple experts and vetting their experience and biases. This works well, providing that the experts also have a certain amount of integrity. Having been an expert witness in Federal Court, I can tell you that it would have been a tough situation if I had been feeding out BS, as I would never have passed muster under the brutal cross-examination.

In the case of audio reviewers, there are two ways to calibrate a reviewer: compare their reviews with other reviews of the same product(s) and compare their reviews of products with which one is personally familiar with one's personal experience.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • There are no unbiased experts. - Tony Lauck 15:08:56 03/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.