Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Print-zines, E-zines, size, policies, etc.

I understand most reviewers review as a hobby, whether it is print or e-zine. But writing for a hobby does not eliminate the other, very important quality writers possess - ego. I don't mean to demean your magazine, but I suspect in audio writing circles it means more to an audio scribe to have Stereophile on their resume, just like it would mean more to a columnist to have New York Times on their resume versus Huffington Post, even if both paid the same.

I think you can create exceptions to the rule, and for the sake of argument, let's say that your publication is an exception to my rule. The fact is that in most e-zines the writiing is, in my humble opinion, below average, sometimes far below average, there are significantly fewer technical articles, if any, from learned professionals or experts in their fields, and the reviewers tend not to have the same, um, resume.

Conducting measurements certainly helps, but they are only part of the story. Roger Modjeski commented on Audiocircle some many months ago that the only magazine he placed much stock in was Stereophile, not because John Atkinson conducts measurements, but because of JA's engineering background, he knew how to intelligently discuss the measurements he was conducting. I suspect its not too difficult to learn to conduct the measurement. The difficult part would be interpreting them to determine what they mean, which ones are really important, and how they relate to each other.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.