Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Anomalies and mechanisms

>> "What mode of influence--what mechanism--would work the same way for an electromagnetic field as it does for floor polish or carpet fibers? This would be unlike anything known to science in its ability to communicate." <<

The "influence"., the "mechanism"., would be the pulsing electromagnetic energy and, with regards to the floor polish and carpet fibres - the influence would be the different mixtures of chemicals - present in the environment. You see Jim, you can ruin your sound by using certain floor polishes !!!
But you don't know that, do you ?

>> "You're still missing what I mean by "mechanism." <<

Let me resort to a story again.
I know, you know and everyone and his uncle knows we (human beings) are aware of our territory and our boundary - and this is NOT because we can SEE a white picket fence !!

But, if I state that concept and that you can 'treat' the water pipe, the gas pipe, the AC power cable, the TV aerial, the drainage pipe, all of which are 'breaking' your territory/boundary, then you Jim will demand "What is the mechanism by which we are aware of our territory/boundary ?"

What you do not seem to realise is that the concept (of being aware of our territory) did not come first and then Peter and I 'thought up' various treatments - it was the other way round. We suddenly did something to the water pipe, to the gas pipe etc and, suddenly, the sound was better !!! So, our immediate reaction was "What the hell is going on ?" (A very technical term, I believe, as I have heard electronic engineers use it often !!) From that point, 25 years ago, we have had to try to find an explanation to the question "What the hell is going on ?" Many other people reach a similar stage although from different experiences - you can see it in the sentences they use !!

This awareness of our territory/boundary must have been there, through millions of years of evolution, long before any 'white picket fence' !! The 'awareness' may have happened accidentally, it does not need a superior being to create it. One creature may have found that it could defend successfully a particularly defined area - was successful in doing so, survived and replicated and other creatures who were not able to do the same thing perished !! Classic Darwin's "Survival of the best fitted for that environment." So, that survival technique was replicated, and replicated and replicated !! As was the ability (with later herds, shoals, groups, flocks) to allow a 'leader' or 'sentinel' to 'be on guard' - to give signals of 'reassurance' - so that the rest of the herd, shoal, group, flock, could relax.

So, to demand now, today, what is the mechanism by which we 'know' our territory/boundary is like asking "What is the mechanism by which we know how to breath ?"

Yes, Jim, you are correct in that I state that you do not need to know that our devices and treatments are in the room for you to hear differences in the sound.

Regarding the previous reference to 'floor polish'. I can (or anyone else can), completely unknown to you, go into your room, treat the floor with the 'wrong' floor polish (chemical !!) and ruin your sound. Alternatively, completely unknown to you I can go into your room and treat the floor with the 'right kind' of chemical and give you a remarkable improvement in the sound. What I would be doing is using some of Nature's tricks - tricks similar to how the leader animal of a herd informs the other members of the herd to "Run like hell" or, alternatively, informs the other members of the herd "It's OK, you can relax."
This was Peter's brilliant lateral leap 25 years ago when he began to realise 'what must be going on'. That Nature must have numerous tricks up her sleeve - there to be found !! And, I might add, not reserved exclusively for Peter to find. Ed Meitner found one of them when in the early 1980s, parallel to what Peter was discovering at around the same time, Ed found that freezing things improved the sound !!! Enid Lumley was also describing some of the effects - what she called "gremlins" in her environment - only Enid struggled to try to fit what she was discovering into the conventional interpretation of "something affecting the audio signal or something affecting the acoustic air pressure waves". Enid only needed to have made the intellectual leap and realise that it was she who was being affected and she would have been there - parallel with Peter - in the early 1980s !!

There does not seem any point in suggesting that you go to our home page and try some of the 'free' techniques we describe because, if you tried them and found that they gave you improvements in your sound, you would merely put it down to 'suggestion' because "May had suggested they would"!!
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.