Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Addressing One Point

Tubeguy,

I respect your position. I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. I have myself argued that it's one thing to KNOW something and another thing to PROVE it. And that, here, is a key difference.

You have no obligation to anyone, least of all me, to prove to me that you really hear what you hear. And you're free to dismiss my objections as misguided or even offensive-though they are not intended to be, as I said.

Yet, as the saying goes (more or less), extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. I would settle for ANY proof. And what May, and Geoff, are claiming is nothing if not extraordinary.

I stand by what I said. There's something deep in the human psyche that wants to believe in its own perceptions. And maybe, in your case, those perceptions are perfectly real. But those of us who haven't heard what you heard--or, anyway, who haven't been convinced that what we thought we heard was real--have other, simpler, more probable explanations to fall back on. I don't expect it to be a popular position, but there you go.

And by the way, I certainly accept that training the ear is possible. I have experienced it myself. I can easily identify things now that I may not even have heard a few years ago--when my ears were probably better but less well trained. But there's a world of difference between a dip at 3 kHz and a photo in the freezer. Yes, you can hear real differences, and whatever claims you make (or don't make) for yourself, I'm sure you can do so with considerable skill. But you--and me--also hear differences that aren't there.

Respectfully,

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.