Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Tom, I had the same experience with a Shakti stone...

>>I admit your theory sounds plausible. I have not attempted to use just an object of some weight on my amp's transformers. I also don't own any of the previously mentioned devices to compare with a heavy object of given weight. I wonder did your friend hear a difference immediately when he put the Shakti stone on the amps, or did he notice after some time or after removing them?<<

He didn't say, I only know that he was evaluating them for possible consideration of including the item in his dealership, and they found it no better than regular weight. I saw the large wooden Shakti candleabras in the showroom, but never listened to them myself. Nor have I listened to any VPI magic bricks. I have in the past however, tested dead weight (like regular stone bricks) on top of my cd player or amp. I didn't like the effect of that, it made the music sound "squashed", just like the visual effect. That is -not- meant as an evaluation of VPI's product or any other, and I did not place mine on the transformer either. I know the VPI product is alleged to have an effect on EMI, which a brick wouldn't, and I don't know if the resonance tuning effect of the weight is even intentional with the magic bricks.

>>Everyone I know personally who has used any of these devices only noticed an effect after some decent amount of time passed or after removing them (IMHO that's the best way. Leave them on for about 20mins and just keep listening. Then while a song is still playing have someone remove the device from the transformer --- BAM! That's when you'll hear what it was doing, after it's gone!) Just like the Joni Mitchell song says, don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you had till it's gone...<<

Yup, she was right. I know the PWB stuff -really- has that kind of effect, more than anything else I've ever tried. That is, removing it can for many, have a more noticeable influence on the sound than the initial change of installing it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.