Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Well Andy, here goes...

While JREF misdeeds were many, the most irritating proved to be their nasty habit of painting a picture that wasn’t warranted by the negotiations or discussion. Prior to the March 31st phone calls with Kramer I had suggested a couple of proposals that would allow me to take advantage of a family vacation to Florida we were considering in the month of June ’05.

These proposals involved me, and others, supervising the treatment of discs down JREF way and me returning home to identify the condition of each disc, treated or untreated. These proposals never garnered anything but criticism from Kramer so I stopped pursuing the matter.

In the meantime Steven Howard came up with a protocol proposal on the JREF Forums that I considered to hold a lot of promise. I stated as much on the Forum and in my conversation with Kramer on March 31. He was well aware that I had to review the proposal a bit further myself and that I already had some amendments I considered important in mind. He asked me to email him a copy of the Steven Howard proposal and I agreed. I thought it funny at the time that he didn’t just go retrieve it from the Forum for himself, but what the hay, no problem.

In the same conversation we discussed test dates. I told him of my desire to be tested between the dates of August 1 and August 15. I had given the test date matter much consideration and these were the dates that worked around my schedule and concerns. His response was something to the tune of “that’s 6 months from now.” Reviewing the record I notice too that I had also told him that it was my desire to be tested August 1, or later, way back on March 15, a few day after our initial contact with one another if memory serves me. March 15 was the very FIRST day of any email correspondence between ourselves.

[----- Original Message -----
To: 'Kramer'
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:03 PM
Subject: RE: headphones
Kramer,
One other note, my 30th high-school reunion is coming up this summer. I haven’t heard dates yet, but I would definitely like to avoid any notoriety at least until after this event. I would like to avoid all notoriety completely if possible. What kind of time frame is typical to iron out the protocol, do the preliminary testing, and assuming I pass, do the final testing? I would like to see the final testing take place Aug. 1, 2005 or later.- Michael]

I emphasize this because of Kramer’s insinuation on the Forum March 31 07:29 PM as follows

[More Wasted of Time
Yup. That's my opinion, and I'm perfectly entitled to it.

Yes, I spoke with Mr. Anda this morning. It was a very nice chat. He informed me that June would be fine, and asked if we could resume protocol negotiations now. I said YES, and we exhanged some emails. Go to his thread in CHALLENGE APPLICATIONS to see where it all wound up.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice?

[-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:46 AM
To: Michael
Cc: [privacy edit]
Subject: kramer here

Hello Michael,

It was VERY good to talk with you this morning. Let's work hard toward making a test happen in June, if all parties can corrdinate their schedules accordingly. We understand that July is out, and early August is also a possibility for you.

[privacy edit] is definitely the man to help with this claim. Here's his contact data:

[privacy edit]

Let's get it rolling.

-Kramer, JREF]

Early August was more than “a possibility for” me, it was my clearly stated preference, not too mention expectation, unless JREF could provide a strong case for June testing being vital to the matter. My dates were within the JREF Challenge guidelines and Kramer told me in our March 31 AM phone conversation that he would see what he could do to get Randi to approve those dates. He came across as ‘I will go to bat for you on this one’ and see if I can get Randi to approve of your preference.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: kramer here
Thanks Kramer,
Just to be clear I have a fairly strong aversion to doing this in June. I just feel a little rushed with everything else on my plate. I do feel the need to settle into audiophile mode without any other distractions for a period of time to get my comfort level back to where it needs to be. Aug. 1 thru Aug. 15 would be a great time for me and would give me great peace of mind which I feel is essential to my success with this Challenge.---Michael]

[-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:28 AM
To: Michael
Subject: Re: kramer here

Michael, you JUST told me on the telephone that June would be "fine". This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. What's to prevent you from changing your mind AGAIN once August rolls around? All this "peace of mind" stuff is really just more of what we hear ALL THE TIME from folks who never submit their claim to the test.

Let me be clear about this: if we determine a test date, and you agree to it, and then you back out, we will have no further dealings with you. I cannot tell you how many applicants put us through weeks or months of negotiations, only to back out when it came time for the test. We will NOT tolerate such vanities, and we absolutely refuse to drag our investigators through such muddy waters. They offer their expertise as volunteers, and we need our vaolunteers badly. We'd have few to chose from if we didn't exhibit some form of discretion regarding such waffling. If you keep saying one thing and then reversing your position, we'll simply won't ever be able to trust your sincerity.

Please understand that we will close your file if you cancel any agreed-upon test date.

-Kramer, JREF]

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:31 PM
Subject: RE: kramer here
Kramer,
I thought I was pretty clear about being reticent about June. If I recall correctly, I stated that June would be fine if that is what it was going to take to get this thing to happen. If you want to fine tune the protocol details over the next week or two and select a date on, or shortly after, Aug. 1 I would be overjoyed to submit unequivocably to being tested on that date with no further ado. If there is a reason that a June date is vital I would be willing to make due with a certain amount of reluctance. If we can avoid all reluctance, wouldn’t you consider that to be a good thing? I really don’t want this to be a sticking point. Aug. 1 is 4 months from tomorrow. If we can agree on Aug. 1, or thereabouts, as the date, I will enter into this test without ANY trepidation. I REALLY don’t want to have ANY trepidation. OTOH, I don’t want you to have any reservations either, so please let me know why a June date is considered important to JREF.---Michael Anda]

[Kramer’s response Sent: Thu 3/31/2005 2:06 PM

OK, now you're playing semantics games with me.
We don't want you to have any trepidation, either, but you will.
A June date isn't "vital", but it IS what got me interested in re-starting the protocol negotiations. Whatever. We certainly wouldn't want you to say you failed the test because you were nervous. You'll say that anyway, but it won't be because we pressured you into being tested in June, or whenever. You just let us know and we'll bend over backwards to accomodate you. You call the shots, Michael. By all means. Each and every comfort you require is yours for the asking.
I'll give Randi the test protocol in a couple of months, when we get closer to a time in which you think your level of trepidation is at an absolute minimum. I'm will NOT bother him with a protocol until then. It's utterly pointless.
And I'm NOT getting into this again until then. You've worn me out.
-Kramer, JREF]

The widely held notion that I waffled on test dates was one of the many aggravations I was forced to endure in my dealings with the JREF Forum mob. If this was ‘entertainment’ for JREF, what does it tell you about the integrity of the Randi Challenge? I grant you that much of the confusion seems to stem from sceptic expectations being conditioned by previous claimant’s behavior and actions.

If you are still interested in reviewing the facts, I will address Kramer’s next move, the submission of the Steven Howard protocol to James Randi for approval without amendment. Let me know if you have any interest in hearing the details regarding this gem of a Kramer ‘facilitation’.

Let me know if you'd like any further information or commentary on the date waffling question. There is some detail I've left out in order to keep this from becoming even more overwhelming than what's presented here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.