Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Let's be really clear about something John

>> "I bring some things to the table though, like some writing ability, extensive technical training (much of it forgotten, admittedly, and a lot of it not directly relevant anyway), and a fresh perspective--by which I mean my refusal to accept these status-quo explanations," <<

I would go along with and be quite OK with your description of a "fresh perspective" and "a refusal to accept these status-quo explanations" if I did not see you being HIGHLY SELECTIVE in this "refusal to accept these status-quo explanations".

You see Jim, I do not see you challenging John Atkinson's use of the Myrtle Wood Blocks. Is it because somewhere there was suggested the word "vibrations" - a word you have heard of before in science ?
I do not see you challenging Wes Phillips use of the Shakti Stone. Is it because somewhere there was suggested the word "electromagnetic field" - a word you have heard of before in science ?
I do not see you challenging Michael Fremer's use of the Furutech or Acoustic Revive de-magnetisers on vinyl records. Is it because somewhere there was suggested the word "magnetism" - a word you have heard of before in science ?
I do not see you challenging Nordost and their liquid which they suggest people apply to the LABEL side of a CD and to the outer insulation of all cables. Is it because somewhere there was suggested the word "static" - a word you have heard of before in science ?"
I do not see you challenging Sonus Faber and their 'special lacquer' which they apply to their speaker cabinets and which they describe as 'friendly to audio'. Is it because somewhere there was suggested the word "resonance" - a word you have heard of before in science ?

I do not see you asking John Atkinson "By what mechanism are the Myrtle Wood Blocks altering the audio signal ?" "Why do the Myrtle Wood Blocks have to be used in threes and why do they have to be the shape of the Golden-section ratio 'magic' dimensions ?"
I do not see you asking Wes Phillips "By what mechanism is the Shakti Stone having an effect ?"
I do not see you asking Michael Fremer "By what mechanism is the de-magnetiser altering the information stored on the vinyl record ?"
I do not see you asking Nordost "By what mechanism is your liquid affecting the sound ?"
I do not see you asking Sonus Faber "By what mechanism is your 'special lacquer' affecting the sound ?"

I, personally, can accept that all these things affect the 'sound' because we (Peter and I) have been there, done similar things, heard the effect !!

In an earlier reply you stated that you thought that Richard Feynman would yes, probably, have been curious enough to have tried many of the things referred to as 'changing the sound' in audio, might have heard an improvement in the sound but then, eventually,

"would have concluded, after further investigation, that this was still more evidence for the power of suggestion and the fallibility of human perceptions. And he would have found it fascinating. He might even have tried the photo-in-the-freezer thing...but it would have been, for him, an experiment in the freakiness of human perceptions and the power of suggestion. And he would have found that no less interesting than if the effect had been real."

My understanding of Richard Feynman would suggest otherwise. That he would have gnawed at it like a dog with a bone, then, still not able to come up with an explanation would have placed the problem 'on a shelf', but would have returned to it again at some later time, taking it down from the shelf, dusting it off, looking at it again, because it would have niggled him !!!
It would have niggled him that he did not have an explanation - because this is what good scientists feel !!

My reading of Richard Feynman is that he would not have so readily dismissed so many diverse people's observations as "suggestion, the placebo effect, imagination, mood changes, audio faith healing or effective marketing." I see him as too great a scientist as that and too great a teacher of science as that.
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.