Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: This guy might be a genius...

My admiration for the late Richard Feynman grew tremendously after reading his "Lectures on Physics" and the book "Surely You Must Be Joking, Mr. Feynman". Here I saw a scientist who was prepared to think, think, think and think again - to think forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down. To think about all manner of obscure things such as how does a seed, deep in the ground, KNOW to send a root down and a shoot up ?
I also got courage from Feynman to tell a story to illustrate something you wish to convey. Feynman would tell a story to illustrate a particular point - at the 'drop of a hat'.

One of my favourite Feynman quotes is:-
The idea is to try to give all the information to help others to judge the value of your contribution; not just the information that leads to judgement in one particular direction or another"
This is particularly relevant when anomalies occur - as Thomas S. Kuhn eloquently points out, quite regularly, in his book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions".
To quote :-
"Discovery commences with the awareness of anomaly, i.e., with the recognition that nature has somehow violated the paradigm-induced expectations that govern normal science..... Assimilating a new sort of fact demands a more than additive adjustment of theory.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.