Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You've never answered this question before

Different engineers use different speakers to monitor their final product. Their results differ for that alone if no other reason. Recording engineers use different miking techniques and different mikes. I've got two recordings from Green Hill Records, "Dixieland Jazz" and Dixieland Hymns." Same musicians, same recording studio, consecutive catalog numbers, same equipment, but different engineers and different seating arrangements. They sound radically different especially in their level of bass. And then there are the engineer's personal preferences. There are plenty of reasons why different recordings have different equalizations. Billy Taylor's Steinway can be made to sound a lot like mine...with a cut in the extreme bass and a moderate boost in the upper midrange and treble. Just a few db but it makes a lot of difference. Some of Marian McPartland's recordings need a similar tweak. George Shearing's don't. Many older recordings need a treble boost like the ones made by the Mormon Tabernacle choir. Their newer digital recordings don't. London FFRR vinyls need a treble boost. Columbia and some DG vinyls need a treble cut. You want accuracy, you have to be ready, willing, and able to adapt the sound system to the particular recording and you have to know what the instruments are supposed to sound like. That's life. Anyone who thinks all recordings are all made the same way and all you have to do is turn it on is fooling themselves but that's their problem, not mine. BTW, that's the reaon for the Citation 11 preamp. That is the purpose of its five band graphic equalizer, to compensate for different recordings. The other equalizer is adjusted to make the "average" recoring sound flat through the system when the Citation is flat. What is an average recording? Glad you asked. I use DG cds, mostly Herbert VK and the VPO or BPO. That seems to me to be right in the center of most recordings.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.